Sunday, March 14, 2010

VICTORY!

I can't believe I did it but this week I actually managed to avoid all Subway cookies! (And YES, I actually DID go into a Subway! 3 times to be exact!) Let me tell you it sure wasn't easy but I managed it - so now I just need to keep working on it so that eventually I don't even think about it! Ironically enough, despite the fact that I managed to completely avoid Subway cookies and ate less points than last week, according to my scale I still managed to gain half a pound. I'm hoping that today's workout session may kick start a small weight loss for tomorrow's weigh in - that or hope that my scale is off. We'll see tomorrow night I guess!

Let me tell you a little bit about one of my OTHER food obsessions now - marshmallow Peeps!! For those of you who don't know what Peeps are, they are delicious marshmallow animals (chicks, bunnies, etc.) coated with coloured sugar and they are FANTASTIC! Luckily for me they only come out around Easter because honestly I can't control myself once the package has been opened! Thankfully they are MUCH LESS destructive than the Subway cookies but still something I need to work on controlling!

So I was at the gym today when I had this thought: I have belonged to 2 different gyms and both of them (as with most) had pools. Now here's the thing. BOTH OF THEM had pools that were in GLASS ROOMS completely visible from the entrance to the gym. Why, WHY do they feel the need to do this? I love to swim but I think I have been in a pool once or twice in probably almost 10 years because I am so uncomfortable being seen in a bathing suit. Even wearing a t-shirt isn't enough to make me venture out into a pool, ESPECIALLY in front of strangers. So now WHY does the gym feel the need to put the pool on complete display? And not only does my current gym have a large glass wall between it and the entrance so that EVERYONE who even comes in to the gym has full view of the pool and anyone in it, but the OPPOSITE wall of the pool area is also glass and borders the main workout area! HALF of the treadmills in this section of the gym face the glass wall which means everyone ON those treadmills stares directly into the pool. Needless to say I won't be using the pool any time soon!

Another interesting thought I had at the gym today was about locker room nakedness (and nakedness in general). I think it's pretty obvious that I would not feel comfortable getting naked in front of other people, even in a change room. Bra and undies is the best it gets for me and even then, it's one at a time. Anyway, the thing I thought about today was that even just changing into a t-shirt and sweatpants, I am much MUCH more comfortable doing it in front of strangers than in front of people I know. I used to go to the gym with my friend all the time and even though we have known each other for years and are very close, I still wasn't comfortable changing in front of her. I would change before we went or go to the bathroom to change - any excuse not to have to do it in front of her. I got to wondering why that is? Why would I be MORE comfortable changing in front of strangers than my best friends? I think it might have something to do with judgement. I don't really care if the other people in the change room judge me because I don't know them and probably won't ever see them again anyway, so who cares if they think I'm fat? My friends on the other hand, I would always be wondering what they were thinking when the looked at me, and if they talked about me to other people. I know it's silly and I'm just being paranoid but I can't help feeling uncomfortable in that sort of a situation with friends.

So I guess that's it for today. I'll let you know how the weigh-in goes tomorrow! On a side note, I have been getting the odd comment of encouragement on my posts and I just want to say thanks - it's nice to know that people are reading this and relating to me and it's great to hear words of encouragement and understanding from others who are going through (or have gone through) similar situations. Please keep them coming!

1 comment:

  1. Hi!

    I stumbled across your blog and thought I would say hello! I have my own weight loss challenge in progress, so I am looking for kindred spirits!
    I see this blog was last updated on March 14 and I am wondering what has been going on since?

    I'd love to hear from you! Please visit my blog and leave a comment about what you think!

    ReplyDelete